Uploading a new theme to WordPress
Posted on February 4, 2018
One of the great things about WordPress is the number of themes you can use to completely change the look at feel of the website. Within WordPress there are a huge number of free themes that you can install with just a couple of clicks. The problem with free themes is that understandable the quality varies… a lot. Personally I’ve always found that the investment in time you put into a free theme never makes up for the cost of a commercial them from sites like Theme Forrest or my personal favourite Divi from Elegant themes which I include in my DIY Website Package.
If you buy a theme from one of these sites you’ll most likely be given access to a ZIP file containing everything you need to upload the theme to your site, but how do you do that? well it’s easy and only takes a couple of minutes.
1. From your WordPress dashboard click on [Appearance] then [Themes].
2. Up at the top of the screen click the [Add New] button.
3. Then click [Upload Theme]
4. Click on [Choose File].
5. Browse to where you have saved your “Zip file”, select the file and click [Open].
6. Click [Install Now]
7. Depending on how your hosting is configured you may be asked for you FTP details, If you are enter then and click [Proceed].
8. WordPress will now go through a few steps to install the theme, this can take a few minutes.
9. Once installed click the “Activate” link.
10. Your theme is now installed and ready to use.
Andy Powell is a website specialist with 20 years experience, he is also the founder of Hack Oldham, a non profit co-working and maker space, a digital trainer and a maker of things.
If you found this post useful you could show you're appreciation by buying me a coffee.