Working with companies of all sizes to make the most of the internet.
Moving a WordPress website
For whatever reason you will probably finds yourself in a situation where you want to either make a copy of your website, or move it from one host to another. The easiest way I have found to do this is to use a plugin to make a backup of your website and restore it to another location.
2. Once installed from the Dashboard menu select [All-in-One WP Migration] [export].
3. If you are moving the site to a different domain set <text> to your old domain name and <another-text> to your new domain, then click [Export To]. If the domain is remaining the same just click [Export To].
4. Choose “File” from the drop down menu and your export will now start.
5. Once your export is complete click the download button to save a copy to your computer.
In your new hosting account you will need a clean install of WordPress, many hosts provide a one-click installer which makes this a simple task, refer to your host for instructions on how to do this.
6. Install the same plugin “All-in-One WP Migration” on your new hosting account.
If your website is larger than 500mb in size you will need to use the paid version of the plugin.
7. On the new copy of WordPress select [All-in-One WP Migration] [Import] from the dashboard menu.
8. Click “Import From” and select “File”.
9. Find the file on your computer that you downloaded in step 5 and click “Open”.
10. The import will now start and progress will be displayed on screen.
11. Once the file has uploaded click “Proceed” to overwrite your installation.
12. Click “Close” to complete the process, then you can examine your website to make sure everything has transferred correctly.